Sunday, August 28, 2011

Love, Anger, Madness


Stars: 3/5
Author: Marie Vieux-Chauvet
Subjects: Haiti, military rule, class wars, psychological terror
ISBN: 9780812976922
Copyright Year: 2009
Other Comments: To be completely fair, I only read Anger.  This was a book assigned to me in my global literature class.  I have the translation into English by Rose-Myriam Réjouis and Val Vinokur.  I found this novel truly disturbing but very powerful.  I only rated it a 3 because I was upset with all the unnecessary martyrdom.  Although I understood that anger caused the deaths in the end, I still desperately wanted to save the grandfather, the invalid, and Rose.  Third person omniscient narration gets pretty confusing in the beginning and when the narration switches between characters quickly.  The plot is about a family who suddenly has their land stripped from them by the ruling military regime.  The family each have their own motives for wanting their land back.  Eventually the manipulations of the characters lead to a tragic ending.  This is not a tale for the faint of heart.  There is a great deal of violence.  I did enjoy reading it, however and would recommend it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!