Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Canopy


Stars: 3.5/5
Author: Angela Hunt
Subjects: Amazon, jungle, God, Jesus, prion diseases, FFI, biology, atheism
ISBN: 0849943450
Copyright Year: 2003
Other Comments: This was my first brush with Christian fiction and I was pleasantly surprised.  I was debating on the score of this book - between a 4 or 3.5 out of 5 stars - but I chose 3.5 because it took me a while to really get into the story.  Once I finally did though, I had a hard time putting it down until I was finished.  The story is about a young woman named Alex who has FFI and is searching for the cure with a group of researchers in the Amazon jungle.  She is an atheist with a genius daughter (who is also on the trip) and an ex-husband who could care less about them.  Then there is Michael, a Christian pediatrician practicing at a free clinic in the Amazon.  When a strange patient is carted in for surgery from a spear wound, Michael finds his brain riddled with prions - and yet he seems to suffer none of the effects of the disease.  He then takes this information to Alex and they seek his village for the cure.  This book was full of battles - spiritual, physical, emotional, verbal, etc.  After reading it, I decided I liked the Christian fiction genre and would continue to read more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!